Saturday, February 26, 2011

Death of the Adverb

Death of the Adverb

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/248822170_bbd5233dae.jpg
Am I the only one noticing that people are no longer using adverbs any more? The only one yelling "ly" every time someone misuses an adverb in conversation, on television, or on the radio?

"It was painted just beautiful," I hear someone say. "Ly," I correct them. "Beautiful-ly."

"The whole scene was displayed so perfect." A television reviewer says. "Ly," I yell at my television screen. "Perfect-ly."

"That song says it all so wonderful." A radio disc jockey comments. "Ly," I scream at my radio. "Wonderful-ly."

Then there's my personal favorite. The most abused adverb of all. "I want to win so bad." "Ly," I say, so frustrated-ly. "Bad-ly."

Remember Schoolhouse Rock: "Lolly, lolly, lolly, get your adverbs here." Maybe we could do with some re-runs. If this abuse continues, it will be the death of the adverb. For those of you who obviously do not know, here's a lesson in grammar. An adverb modifies a verb in much the same way as an adjective modifies a noun. Are we just getting lazy? Is it too much trouble to add that little 'ly' to the word? One syllable too many in the world of texting and e-mail? Or is it just that adverbs are no longer being taught in schools?

Whatever the reason, I intend to continue to yell at my TV screen and radio, and to use adverbs whenever possible to insure that they do not become extinct. I will teach my children and my grandchildren to use them correct-ly, and correct anyone I hear misusing one.

In the meantime, for those of you who care, and I hope there are a lot of us, listen to how often adverbs are ignored or misused and join me in the fight to restore the proper use of the English Language. It can be so rewarding to hear English spoken proper-ly.


No comments:

Post a Comment